Friday, January 27, 2012

Makers and Innovators...

To be honest, after viewing the PBS site and the Gatto site (and working on his book), I find myself asking if I've been lied to. I see on one hand, education has come far thanks in large part to the Innovators. But then on the other, I'm questioning the Makers and if the Innovators really were innovative or if they just set us back in time.

The Innovators. When I look at these men and women, I'm humbled by the work they did for education in America. They believed education was the key to success, to life, to happiness. I agree with that. Men like Booker T. Washington overcame seemingly insurmountable odds in order to make a difference. And what a difference he made! He tried to open up America's eyes to see that hard work, persistence, and self-discipline were the keys to success. Without his determination, an entire group of people were being left behind. And now, while some educational disparity among the races still exists, those cracks that were once chasms are finally starting to close.

Unfortunately for many students, life has gotten so easy now. Self-discipline is a joke. These values are no longer appreciated. Who's the number one student made fun of in any class? The one who asks questions or actually has answers. The one who does his or her homework. The one who works hard knowing that discipline will get them a better life. Our culture has taught our kids to be bored consumers and consume they do. Which leads me to Gatto's Makers.

Reading Gatto's book has been an interesting ride. I find myself all at once saddened by reality, hyped up for change, and then disappointed with the barriers of reality again. I also find myself trusting my students more to be what they need to be - leaders, well on their way to being grown-ups - instead of what plenty of teachers treat them like - little kids. The most interesting Maker to me is his mention of Henry Ford. This name immediately brings up pictures of assembly lines (and even a story of my history professor in college saying he used to cut the little pieces of rubber off tires in an assembly line - he said at first it was a blast to see how many he could cut off before the tire went by, but of course it got boring) and along with assembly lines comes dead-faced workers waiting for the bell signaling the end of day. Ironically enough, the professor I mentioned was one of the best teachers I've ever had - even with his actual assembly line training. I think the reason that he was so good was because he did not treat his students like products to be manufactured, but like men and women. He also conveyed to us his love for history. He wanted us to catch the fire that burned in him.

Ford capitalized on the assembly line. Those workers waited eagerly for the bell and unfortunately, so do my students. "What time do we get out of here?" is one of the most common questions I hear. Talk about frustrating. I need to find the passion in me that I know exists for English and spark some fires.

Even after all of these people being categorized and applauded or torn down, I still feel that I'm thankful to be in education today. The system is not perfect, but it can change. The curriculum might not always be exceedingly excellent, but change is coming for it as well. Innovation can still happen, even without most of these Innovators. And new beginning can still be made, hopefully with new Makers. Both groups of people have changed the face of education. Some to better education, others to set it back. Without the Innovators, where would we be? Before reading Gatto's book I may have said "nowhere." Now, I'm wondering if we'd be somewhere weirdly better. Maybe we would have all grown up and treated people with respect and dignity. Maybe we would have gotten out of the way and helped our kids learn the hows of life as opposed to the whats. Maybe. Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment